Thursday, 17 April 2008

Waiting ...

Most days it feels like all we've been doing for the last year is waiting.  April last year we were waiting to meet with our social worker.  By the time August rolled around we were waiting for our social worker to finish writing up our home study.  Then on to September and waiting for agency 1 to finish examining our home study, waiting for Canada Post to deliver it to agency 2, waiting for agency 2 to read it over and send it on to Ottawa and then waiting for authentication.  In October we were waiting to hear that our dossier had been sent to Ethiopia and then we waited to hear that it got there safely (we never did hear actually) ... then it felt like the real wait started!  Waiting for a referral.  

December we waiting for agency 1 and 2 to open after Christmas so we could sign the acceptance papers and start waiting for our court date.  Fast forward to March and our court date then waiting for copies of court documents.  And lastly we are waiting for immigration.  We think that we are down to the final couple of weeks worth of waiting.   

Soon we will be waiting in line at the airport to check in, then get through security, then get onto plane #1, then waiting to taxi and take off.  Waiting as we fly over Canada, Greenland, the Atlantic Ocean ... At least the closer you get to meeting your child the waits get shorter.  



I was reading my friends Diannes blog today while I was procrastinating doing my assignment on CT equipment.  She and her husband have been waiting 4 months for a referral.  I was responding to her post and it got me thinking about the past year.  This post is not a whine nor a rant.  It's just a statement of all we've been through.  This past year has been the tortoise and the hare, there have been some weeks I thought would never end and some that went by too fast.  All in all it hasn't been too bad.  

Dianne: I sincerely hope that your wait for a referral is the longest wait that you have to endure during this adoption.  And if you call me before 8am tomorrow I'll have to say mean things about you! 

4 comments:

The Warren Family said...

Ahhh we have just finished our homestudy. I am a little worried about all of these long waits, I hope I don't go crazy!

Dianne said...

Thanks Alicia, me too. But I'm trying to face the fact that I may just have to suck it up if that's not the case.

I hope your remaining wait is the shortest one yet :)

It's true. We'd be sugar-coating if we told our stories and there was nothing about the waiting waiting waiting. And usually it's simply a statement of facts: yes we wait a lot. But sometimes a girl needs to spaz a little, and there's nothing wrong with that. So you know how to find me if you ever need to spaz a little :)

Dianne said...

update your blog woman! I need to scream for you!!!!

Alicia said...

When the phone rang at 0704 this morning I thought ... this better be the agency because if it's not I'm going to freakin' lose it...
Somehow I just knew. The ring sounded right. Before I heard her say Hello, I knew it was "THE" call.