Wednesday, 1 April 2009

Alicia through the looking glass

I have always thought that our children are a reflection of us. However being the mother of an almost 2 year old has brought this to my attention in a whole new way. Sofia's latest 'mummy-ism' "Ummmm" I didn't realize that I said it so often or used the 'phrase' so widely but if Sofia is my mirror than WOW ...

The first time I realized that Grant and I need to be careful of how we chose our words was last summer. I asked Sofia to do something and she "yeah yeah yeah"ed me. It only took me asking Grant to do something to realize where she'd gotten it from. Grant and I are both guilty of the 'yeah yeah yeah'. I think it's common when you know how your spouse is going to end their sentence.

I am now more conscious to use full sentences, say "yes" instead of "yeah" or "yep", and always use my manners. I also eat all my vegetables (although as the person that plates the food I get to make sure that only the veggies that I like make it onto my plate!) I do hope that it is not too late for my little Nigist. "Ummm ok" is not a very attractive sentence starter from a 2 year old. It does sound very cute though. I must also be more conscious to not giggle reinforcing-ly!

1 comment:

Danielle said...

That's funny you mention this because we are just now trying REALLY hard to curb our...ahem...bad word choices. So far, Zia hasn't repeated anything Nick and I say in the way of bad words, but I know Isaiah will if we aren't careful! Its so hard though!! LOL!