Tuesday, 10 June 2008

What was I thinking?

Sofia in her crib at the TH on the day we met her.

My daughter lived in the TH for 5.5 months, where she slept 12 hours a night and had 3 naps during the day ... why did I think I could mess with that?  I thought that it was too much sleep for a one year.  Hmm, I need to get over myself.  I've been saying that a lot lately, I hope today it finally sinks in.  "Alicia Get Over Yourself!" 

Grant and I didn't said our child wouldn't be dependent on strict sleeping structure.  We wanted our child to be a bit flexible.  When we were in Ethiopia Sofia seemed to be very flexible about her sleep schedule.  I'm now realizing her flexibility was just her coping.  For now Grant and I have a child that is dependent on strict sleeping structure.  For me it sucks cause I feel like I'm trapped in my house.  I have been looking forward to doing fun stuff with her; play groups, play dates, swimming lessons.  With all her sleeping I don't know how to schedule any of it.  Like I said, I need to get over myself.  I need to follow Sofias lead, if she wants to sleep I'll let her sleep.  If she wants structure I'll provide her structure.  This week is dedicated to Sofia's sleeping pattern and maybe next week will be too.  Eventually she and I will work it out.  In the future we can start pushing the boundaries but for now we need to establish the boundaries.  I was putting the cart before the horse, silly girl...

Thank you Lisa for your comment on the last post.  I've been worried that Sofia is sleep too much.  I've been thinking I should take her to the doctor and have her tested for all kinds of stuff.  It's reassuring to know there is another girl out there with the same sleeping habits as Sofia.

On another note: Sofia has been taking a few steps lately.  Last night she was stringing together 5 or 6 steps going between Grant and I.  I still think she's a couple months away from being a "toddler" but it's cool that she's practicing!  

5 comments:

shaunak said...

Okay ~ I'll come baby-sit Sofia and I'll nap right along with her, as I can definitely use the sleep.

You can watch Dexter ~ I'm sure he would love to go swimming or to a play group or one of the many things I am too tired to do!!

It is amazing how different one year olds can be. My three kids all have completely different sleep needs. I do know how frustrating it can feel being 'trapped' in the house. Both of the boys nap at different times and I feel like I can not leave the house outside of driving and picking up Molly from school because someone is always sleeping in the afternoon. Maybe it will stop raining one of these days and the kids can nap in the stroller while we enjoy some sunshine...

Shauna

Danielle said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of structured living! Some days I feel like I live in a Seniors residence. LOL!

I always hoped that we could make Zia flexible too, but sadly, it didn't work out that way. I think if maybe we had have had our girls at younger ages it may have been possible, but with Zia and Sofia being the ages they are, we are pretty much stuck with the routines they are used to - even if they aren't fitting into the way we want to do things. Now that I am used to her routine though, I guess its not too bad.

You are doing the right thing though! Just follow her cues and she'll let you know what she wants!

Lisa said...

I said to two of our doctors, "I know you probably NEVER hear this from a new Mom, but I'm worried my baby sleeps TOO MUCH!" We all laughed and they told me not to worry. I know what all you guys mean by feeling trapped. For sure! But just to let you know, it gets easier as they settle in, and I can drag Ayana around pretty much all day if I have to, and she'll sleep in her stroller or car, and if we are not at home she can go longer stretches of being awake. But when we at home near her bed, boy does she let me know when she wants to get in there! You are such a great Mom, and I am so happy for you guys.

Hugs again.

Anonymous said...

Judah was the same way when we came home. always wanting a nap!! 12 hours at night (or more), One 1 1/2 - 2 hour nap in the morning, than a 3-4 hour nap in the afternoon. So needless to say...I TOTALLY get feeling trapped in your house!! But seriously...it was just one day, I put him down for his normal morning nap...and he just didn't sleep. And from that day on we are just 'trapped' in the house for hte afternoon 3 hour nap!

tha_dub06 said...

Yup when they are that little you can't get away with being too far off schedule or they get pretty cranky!