Tuesday, 3 June 2008

Smartie-pants!

When we were in Ethiopia we started teaching Sofia the sign for "bottle".  We've been working with her on it and in the last week she's been asking for her bottle or juice cup with the hand sign and the word 'ba-ba'.  
Since she's got the first sign down I figured that it was time to start working on a second sign.  I chose "more".  Last night at dinner I introduced it but there wasn't much of a response from her.  Tonight we were headed over to Grant's parents house for dinner and I was in the back seat with her.  I took the opportunity  to put her hands through the "more" motion while I said the word.  I did it maybe 10 times.  During dinner I had her on my lap and had given her a few bites of my food when out of now where the little smartie-pants signs for "more"!  She did it a few more times during the meal so it makes me feel as though she's got it. 
I'm going to give her tomorrow to solidify "more" and then we'll start with "please".  Sofia's a sponge just waiting for knowledge!  It's so fun and satisfying to see her learning!

3 comments:

The Turgeon Expansion said...

My brother and his wife sign to their baby, and it works awesome. Instead of them crying because they're not getting what they want, they can tell you. Smart cookie that Sofia!

Rhonda

Danielle said...

Way to go Sofia!!!

Proudmama said...

You do have a smart cookie there! The only thing that I can get Emmett to sign is EAT EAT EAT. All day he says to me EAT EAT EAT. He's the signing equivalent of the cookie monster from Sesame Street. Anyways, way to go Sofia!!! Your mama has taught you well!

Courtney