Monday, 14 July 2008

Camping!

This weekend we ventured into the woods, 2 hours by road 1 hour by logging road.  For those of you how live in areas where there aren't logging roads think ill-maintained gravel road.  Sofia did well on the trip a few tears on the way up but none on the way home.  We camped at Flora Lake and it was beautiful.  The mosquitoes were a bit thick and stubborn for my liking but I'm glad we toughed it out.  I've never met mosquitoes that would still bit despite 2 kinds of bug spray, mosquito coils, citronella candles, and campfire ... they must have been starving!  Amazingly enough the 3 youngest babies didn't have any bites, the 2 Mums got the worst of it and my friend Maritza reacted very badly, poor thing.

For the most part we kept Sofia to her schedule and she had so much fun.  She slept, ate, and played with her cousins!  Sleeping in the tent didn't bother her at all.  She shared a sleeping bag with Grant and I.  We've only slept with her in our bed a couple of times so we were sure how that was going to go but she didn't seem to notice.  Typically Qimik napped with her during the day, they got pretty cozy together with him curled around her.  It's nice to have a nap-buddy!
Camping? Hmmm do I like that?
Qimik already knew that he LOVES camping, he got into the car while we were loading it!
As if we'd leave him behind...
YEAH! 
The car was SO full but it did great on the logging road due to a fantastic driver!
The view from our campsite looking out over Flora Lake
Grant, Dustin and Morgan drove up the mountain on the opposite side of the lake.
Our campsite is hiding behind the 3 tree from the right.
Dinner time
Breakfast time
It was typical camping weather cool in the morning hot during the day.
Grant and I both took Sofia on a couple of walks/hikes in the sling, 
it worked great!
Flora Lake is a Forest Rec site, so there was a picnic table and a stone fire pit
The best thing about Forest Rec sites is that they are remote and free!
Sofia spent a bit of time crawling around the campsite but her cousins
kept her pretty occupied.
3 of the cousins, Dustin, and Qimik
(we were the tent D&M were the trailer)
This is how Sofia spent most of the weekend
the other girls really enjoyed pushing her around.
Even the 20 month old twins were pushing her and each other
who would've guessed that the best "toy" we brought would have been that stroller!
Waking up from a nap
It's her first camping trip but she looks like a seasoned bush-girl already!
Playing in the lake 
The weather was wonderfully hot and the water was wonderfully cool.
Dustin brought a boat that we all took turns in.  G & D rowed to the middle of the lake and jumped in. 
Now that's a big smile!
Sofias camping wounds a bump on the chin and a scrape on the nose.
She must have had fun!
While Grant & I broke down camp Sofia spun the wheels on her stroller.
Again, best "toy" we took!


7 comments:

Danielle said...

You hippie you! LOL!! Love the first pic of Sofia in the car seat! What a sweetie!

Anonymous said...

Awsome pics you guys
I'm glad you guys had good weather from the looks and that it turned out to be a great time :)
Auntie Tracy

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that Sofia takes so well to everything you guys are interested in. Looks like the weather was great and you had a wonderful time. Love to see all the pics--next best thing to be out there!!

Sebrina Wilson said...

Great pictures!!! Looks like so much fun! I would love to camp but Mike won't have anything to do with it.. I cannot take 4 kids out by myself :) Maybe when the boys get older!

Anonymous said...

I love the look on Sofia's face in the first picture. It's like she is thinking "ok where are these two taking me to this time"
She does have an expressive face ( I think she gets that from her grandma!!!)

The Warren Family said...

Wow, she seems to be so easy going! Looks like she really enjoyed camping!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a wonderful time!

We're looking forward to camping with our kids too... it's such a great family activity.

Nicky