because shes been running circles around my brain. I can't get Sofia out of my head. I've been thinking about her nonstop for a few days now. Last night I had wonderful dreams about her! We were playing, swimming, and giggling. We were also nursing, cuddling, and crying. It's nice that my mind is having a loving relationship with her...
I keep wondering if she has any teeth. If she's tried cereal yet? Does she use a pacifier? Does she get lots of colds, does she have an ear ache, is she a sickly or heathy baby? My thoughts keep bouncing from one thing to another.
Is she a peaceful sleeper or does she move around a lot? What is her favourite toy? Does she give kisses? Has she started phonating yet?
I know that we won't get to meet her until she is 13 or 14 months. But I have such a hard time picturing what a child of this age is like. Silly because I have known more than a few kids of that age. But I have never been the one recording these childrens firsts... Who is recording our daughters firsts? Sadly no one.
Sofia, my darling, once you are here I will record the heck out of your firsts! When you are older you'll think I'm crazy for writing down in your journal things like "The first time Sofia said, dog" "The first time Sofia rolled her eyes at her mother" "The first time Sofia played music with her Daddy" (See there I go picturing her older again) ok, try again "The first time Sofia climbed the stairs herself" "The first time Sofia sighed in contentment"
Right now I'm ok with our new timeline of "up to 6 months". I still look around our house void of any baby/child-y things and am amazed that there is going to be a child here in that sort amount of time. Friends & family keep saying "That long still!" but I'm not even sure where to begin preparing. How do you prepare for a one year old? Mom, your trip our here in April is going to be busy!
Oh, and as for the language thing. It's finally hit me. My one year old is not going to understand English. Luckily I have someone who is going to teach me some Amharic. I spent some time with my nieces last night and even at 17 months the babies understand so much. I bet Sofia catches on quickly though, I'm pretty sure she's the smartest baby I'll have ever met.
Ok, I feel slightly better for having gotten this off my chest. My Mom & Dad are in Florida right now & I have given them the green light to buy things for Sofia. I'm really excited to see what they come home with!!
3 comments:
Yowza, if I feel that way when we don't even know who our child will be yet, I can't imaging how much more your mind must race now that you know who she is!
That said... I think I know what you mean when you say she's always on your mind. I think of VERY little else.
I second Dianne. My mind is already racing and we don't have a referral yet! I sometimes wonder how I'll be able to cope with them in Ethiopia for so many months without us!
Sounds like you have some shopping to do!!!
Anyway, just wanted to say that there will be so many firsts of Sofia's that you will be there for, to videotape her climbing the stairs, to laugh when she attempts to jump, to get choked up the first time she calls you "mommy", to tuck her in the first night in her "big girl bed", to kiss her first scraped knee and apply a bright colored band-aid, to cheer her on when she pedals a two-wheeler, to help her sound out those first words in a book, to cry with her when she has her first broken heart, to shop with her for her first bra, to wave at her when she goes to her first day at a new job, ....... so much celebration to come!
Post a Comment