Tuesday, 15 September 2009

Mummy/Daughter Day

Yesterday Sofia and I had possibly our last Mummy/Daughter day before the baby comes. We had peanut butter chocolate chip "panpakes" for breakfast, went for coffee, went shopping, visited with friends and had Ethiopian for "munch". I had such a great time with my little girl!
As we were driving in the car she said to me;
"Mumma is the baby coming soon."
M "Pretty soon"
S "Yeah, we'll see. Ask me tomorrow but not today."
M "Yep, that's it. Not today but maybe tomorrow."
S "That's ok Mumma, I be patient."

I'm glad that she can be patient, I think we are all doing pretty good in that department. I will admit to having a couple of pretty grumpy moments lately. I like planning and not knowing when things are going to start happening is wearing on my nerves a bit. I feel great! a bit more tired than usual and I've had a few restless nights lately. For the most part though I can't believe that it's almost over. Finding out that I was pregnant seemed so surreal and it's still hard for me to completely wrap my head around what is happening. My house is full of newborn things; clothes, bassinet, car seat. Just the itty bitty-ness of all the things is overwhelming for me!

Sofia is excited about becoming a big sister and talks about coming to the hospital to meet the baby. She has taken the addition of the crib in her room in stride as well as all the other things around the house. Sofia is in a big helping phase and I think that's going to benefit us greatly. We just have to harness her powers for good and try to avoid the evil. The desire of a 2 year old to help can go south very quickly! So far Sofia is open to reason and if you can explain to her why it's better for you to do something for her rather than let her "do it by-self" she's willing to accept it. I never dreamed that I would be able to have the conversations with a two year old that I can have with mine. Her vocabulary, both spoken and comprehensive, floors me.

Today I plan on spending the day baking. I need to make cookies and I want to make some granola. I'm trying to keep some healthy snacks in the cupboards lately, I've put on 43 pounds in the last 33 weeks. UGH! The target they give you is 25-35 lbs so I blew that out of the water! Although I was expecting to gain at least 35 because I had lost 10+ lbs from my "normal" weight when I was home with Sofia last year.

Well, I'd better use my energy while I still have it.

2 comments:

Proudmama said...

You definitely don't look like you've gained 43 pounds! You look great!

Sounds like you have a great little helper in Sofia!

Where on the Island do you eat Ethiopian food? Is there a restaurant there?

Enjoy your last little while of pregnancy! :)
Courtney

Anonymous said...

That's nice you had some special 1 on 1 time together. And the pb chocolate chip pancakes...mmmmmm!