Tuesday, 25 August 2009

9 months! or 36 weeks

WOW! There was a time I never thought I'd be where I am today. I am amazed at how I've been through this pregnancy. At one point in time I told Grant that if I could get pregnant I'd be good at it. He can't argue me that any more. Everyday I continue to amaze myself with my strength. When I feel like I don't have any more in the tank I dig a bit deeper and find more. I also feel that I've grown a lot as a mother in the last few weeks. Realizing that another person will be joining our family shortly has made me re-evaluate my role. Sofia and I are having power struggles (that I expect to continue for the rest of our lives) but I am finally seeing results. I have found something that works for us; I need to give her choices and boundaries. I knew this before and Grant and I have always done that with her, but I needed to tighten the reigns a bit. I make sure I explain my expectations to her in advance, she then gets one warning, and then I step in. It's really working well. I can tell when she is getting tired or irritable and I am able to be a bit more flexible and give her more choices. It is easier for her to cooperate if she feels like she is in control.

Sofias daycare is closed last week and this week and I took vacation so I could be home with her. I was pretty nervous about being 9 months pregnant and having an active 2 year old run circles around me. We've been good. I have been tired most nights by the time Grant gets home and I must admit that he has done most of the dinners. I am a bit sad that daycare starts up again next week. I am once again looking forward to being a stay at home mum, even if just for the length of my mat. leave. ( I am looking forward to SHOPPING solo in the next couple of weeks. I have a few gift certificates to spend and lots of things that I want/need to buy before the baby is born!)
Ok, well this post started out about me being 9 months pregnant, lets see if I can find that train of thought again...

I am happy and sad about being at the 36 week mark. Happy because I get to meet this little bug soon. Sad because well, I won't be pregnant any more. Last week was rough for me. The pregnancy hormones haven't really affected me very much but last week they reared their ugly heads. I spend Monday and Tuesday weepy because I was having body image issues. I'm doing better again this week. My midwife is away on vacation and so I am meeting with her back up for my appointment tomorrow afternoon. I'm really eager for September to start. I'm really eager to find out if this babe is a boy or a girl (or a Dyb or a Doll as my Dad puts it). I'm really eager to see how I deal with labour and how Grant deals with me being in labour.

I was warned about the crazy dreams that pregnancy will bring and I thought that I understood but this week I entered a whole new level of crazy dreams! The stress of the adoption brought on some crazy dreams but the stress of life and the hormones combined ... well I can't begin to explain them. It's safe to say there isn't a whole lot of sleeping going on lately.

Anyway, it's getting late and I need to get a snack before I can go to bed.

1 comment:

Natalie and Chris said...

Yay to 9mths, I can't wait to see the new addition to the family.
nat