Monday, 10 November 2008

Potty Talk

Yes we feel as though it's time.  Sofia is 18 months now and has been sitting on the potty for about 6 weeks.  Sometimes there's action, sometime there isn't.  She has started letting us know there is 'poot' in her diaper so she has some awareness.  My request for today is that you give me hints, stories, or book suggestions on how you potty trained your daughters.  How old were they, how successful was it, how long did it take?  If you'd rather not leave a comment feel free to email me directly.  Thank you in advance.

10 comments:

Lisa said...

I look forward to hearing what people have to say about this. Ellie trained very very late, and Ayana tells me pretty much everytime when she has to go number 2. We have yet to do the number 1 in anyway. I was going to wait until she is more verbal, but I don't want to miss the boat either. I'll be following your comments closely to see what others have to say.

Diane said...

I have potty trained many children in the daycare and the method that works best for me is .....

When the child is old enough to pee on demand, put them in underpants. Set you watch to beep every hour, sit them on the potty. Not for a long time but a few minutes every hour. Don't worry if they mess the pants, buy cheap underwear and plastic covers and throw them out for messy poops (cutting up the side like a diaper works best when they are really messy) give it a week and if you don't see impovement try again next month. Most of my girls train just before 2 years, boys are often later.

I have found the key is catching the child when they have the physical control to pee but they still want to please you. If you wait too late it often becomes more of a battle. The key is timing. It sounds like Sophia is nearly there.

Dr. McB said...

We had a potty party with the train in one day method, which didn't quite work the first time around because of all the traveling we did to throw off our schedule. Then, we did it again a few months later with my friend's 2-year-old, and it worked well for both girls. My friend's daughter was trained that day and stayed dry even at night. Very impressive!

Mamato2 said...

Mal is 2 years old today and has been out of day time diapers (that is, she only uses one at night to sleep) for over a month. I never forced the issue, btu did encourage, but beginning to sit her on the potty seat on the big toilet at 15 months. From then on, 90% of all bm's were in the toilet. Then, in portugal, diapers became a hassle when we were on the beach so much, so I just stopped putting one on her and every 30 minutes or so would ask if she needed to go. She quickly grasped that she liked the diaper-free feeling and it was really easy from there. By the time we were home, 2 weeks, she was refusing diapers with tabs and within another week, we were in panties b/c she didn't even want the pull-up to nap. I had to start calling them "princess pants" and now she'll don them for sleep. Recently, she's had a few dry naptimes, too and that's pretty good b/c her naps are about 2 to
2 1/2 hours.
I often say Mal trained herself b/c honestly, that's what it feels like.
Now, we'll have to start working on getting diaper free at night, but I am not in a hurry. Just like she proved her readiness for daytime, I am sure night time will happen in a few months, I guess.
Good luck with Sofia. Oh, and praise her A LOT for every piddle/toot/poot- that goes a looong way to encouraging :)

Mamato2 said...

PS: here is the blog post I did on this on my old blog

http://www.toadfire.com/blog_full.jsp?blogID=3152&asc=false&entryStart=20&hid=

It's also called Potty Talk :)

Jenny said...

My boys were all trained by the age of two. I used bribes. Covered the bathroom with dollar store toys and healthy treats and they got to pick one every time the went. My advise...you have to absolutely commit. Do not start then stop cause it is inconvenient, it sends confusing messages. Summer is a great time because I just had the boys naked and they would run to the toilet when they needed to, or pee on the neighbors plants! Yes we had accidents but we just kept a mop and paper towel around. I did not use pull ups...underwear gets wet and they did not like to be wet so they learned bladder control!I started my boys at 22 months.

tha_dub06 said...

We used pretty well the same system as Diane for Rori and it worked fine... We saw the big improvement once the diapers were switched for underwear (which we didn' do right away). It's like they know if they go in the underwear its not going to be good!

Carol said...

Chocolate chips. :)

Choose a really optimal time for everyone (Mommy and baby!), well rested, fed, not sick before going for it.

Also, I found it useful to teach Marissa a sign along with the word toilet - sometimes it's easier for her to sign than talk, especially if you gotta go!

Carol said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Barb said...

Thanks for asking this question. We'll have to wait a couple or few months after K is home but this will be high on the to do list!

Barb