Thursday, 30 July 2009

Pregnancy Update

Last week at my check up my midwife was thinking that my tummy is still a bit small and suggested that I have an ultrasound just to check on things. What pregnant mother would pass up a chance to have a little face time with their baby? I had the ultrasound yesterday and found out the although the baby is the exact size that it is supposed to be, it's swimming pool is a bit short on water. I had to go for another ultrasound, a non-stress test, and a consult with an OB Dr. today. The tests show all is good with the baby but apparently there is still cause for concern as I have to go back for more tests next Thursday and the Thursday after that. On the second appointment I will meet with an OB Dr. again and he will let me know what the course of action is. No one has been able to tell me what this means exactly so we aren't worried. I haven't been put on bed rest and no one has said that I can't continue life as normal. It sounds to me like we need a few weeks of information in order to decide why the fluid is low.

I'd just like to say that there is no part of a non-stress test that is 'non-stress'. First they take two big elastic bands and strap them over your belly. They attach two big disks to the bands; one to monitor contractions and one that records the babys heart rate. Next they hand you a Jeopardy-buzz-in looking device and tell you to press it every time you feel the baby move. I had to lie there for 30 minutes and listen to the baby's heart beat louder than I listen to the radio in the car. In short bursts it's a very sweet sound but when left alone in a strange room and hearing it begin to race and then slow down it's stressful. The baby then got the hiccups and I had to decided if I should record every single hic. The nurse then came in, looked at the results and said "Hmmm, we should probably get you to lie on your side" then after settling me but before I could ask questions she disappeared again! Now I got to lie on my side and stare at a numerical read out of the babys heart rate. I got to watch it race up to 160 and then drop off to 130. I couldn't feel the movements as well on my side so I started to second guess myself. The whole time I kept worrying that they had forgotten me! Eventually the nurse came back in, looked at the results, and smiled. "These look fantastic". ahhh, I began to breath again.
Now that I've been through one I imagine they won't be as stressful. Still I think it's a misnomer.


The OB I met with today confirmed that everything with the baby is great. I'd love to be able to say that I am completely worry free however ... I'm trying my best. Because no one has been able to give me anything to do or to change I can only continue on as I have been. I have pledged to drink more water. The Dr told me that wouldn't change anything but I'm sure that it can't hurt either. I have also promised myself that I won't google it. There is scary information on the net and it's not always reliable. I have 8 shifts left at work and then I start 5 weeks vacation which leads into my mat. leave. I have been already taking it easy around the house but I will make an effort to be lazy during the hottest part of the day. Mostly I am going to try to forget about it until next Thursday and hope that the fluid amount increases and the baby keeps doing great!

2 comments:

The Hattons... said...

Glad to hear the testing so far has turned out okay. Really, how do they make a stress test non-stressful when it comes to a pregnancy?? Hopefully things remain well for the remainder of your pregnancy.

Barbara said...

I'm sure everything is fine. Enjoy your quiet time!