Thursday, 20 December 2007

Cancun, Coronas, and Flakey!

Grant told me last Saturday (after 6 weeks of keep it secret) that we are going to Cancun!  I am so proud of him.  Keeping secrets is not easy and it looks like he has planned a great trip!  I'll post some pictures when we get back.

As of this morning, I am officially on vacation until next year! WooHoo!  I go back to work Jan. 2... Today that feels like a long time away.  Grant is writing his finally exam as I type this and he will be done and on vacation (or unemployed however you look at it) in an hour or two!

The last few months at work have been stressful for me, they've been training me in CT (formerly called CAT scan)  It's hard to learn all new stuff, new protocols, new equipment, new procedures.  The other thing I've been struggling with is starting IV's.  For a lot of the scans we used IV contrast and so as a technologist it's my job to start the IV's.  It's a tricky thing to learn but I think I finally have a handle on it.  I'm feeling very confident about it and it has lead me to some realizations about myself....

(Here comes the Flakey)

I am a believer in Reiki, healing energies, and the like.  I haven't trained in Reiki yet but it's on my list of things to do.  I have been told by a Reiki master that I have strong energy, and I'm excited about learning how to use it.  As an xray tech I have always had people comment on how gentle I am and how easy and painless I did their xrays.  The funny thing is that I am a perfectionist and so I always strive to get perfect images.  I have always prided myself in getting these perfect pictures without causing too much pain to my patients.  I get compliments from my patients on how easy the xrays were and compliments from doctors on how good my images are.  I have always thought that it's these healing energies that help me do this.
Now I have learned to start IVs.  For the first month I felt like I'd never get it. But in the last couple of weeks it's clicked.  My last few shifts I have had 7 patients compliment me.  One person who was terrified of needles told me it was the easiest needle they'd ever had, another patient told me no one can ever get a vein on her and was amazed that I got one on my first try.  Again, I know that this is not my skills, I haven't been doing it long enough to have "skills".  There are other forces helping me.   I don't usually pat myself on the back but I am very proud of myself.  My mother once told me "If you don't pat yourself on your back, no one will" 

2008 is going to be the year that I finally learn about these energies.  I have dreams about helping our baby relax on the plane ride home with Reiki.  I feel lucky that this energy has chosen me as a portal and I'm looking forward to learning how to help others with it.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

CANCUN!!!! Can I COME??!!!

And you are NOT going to believe this, Alicia!!! I got my LEVEL 1 Reiki 5 years ago!!!!!!! I LOVE REIKI!!!!!

We are seriously kindred spirits.... serious... ly.

Have a great trip, girly!

The Turgeon Expansion said...

Have a great time!! And sip a pina coloda (so can't spell that) for all of us stuck here!

Rhonda

PS. Happy Birthday!