Wednesday, 7 January 2009

Melkam Gena! Happy Christmas!

Ethiopians celebrate Gena on January 7. Traditionally no presents are exchanged but small gifts of clothing may be giving to children. It is common for everyone to dress in white and wear a shamma (a traditional wrap made of white cotton with bright coloured stripes near the end). Sofia and I are celebrating Gena on Saturday with some of our friends and also with the Victorian Ethiopian community. They have invited us to join them in celebrating at a local hall. I'm hoping to be able to take pictures, I've heard there will be music, dancing, and food!

We didn't give Sofia any presents to open today for Gena. However since it is tradition that the children are given a small gift of clothing, I think I might have to buy her a bathing suit for her lessons that start next week. I hear Old Navy has some really great ones.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Melkam Gena Sofia. I wish I could go with you on saturday. It should be fun