Disposable diapers have never been an option for me. Luckily Grant feels the same! Now the research starts... Ugh! There are so many kinds of cloth diapers. Never having used them, it's hard to decide which kind we should buy. I need help! It used to be a cloth diaper consisted of a rectangular piece of cloth and two safety pins. Now they look the same as disposables. Please, those of you whom have experience with these new fangled fancy cloth diapers, let me know what has worked or not worked for you!
Just to give you some insight as to what I have been looking at.
http://www.bumgenius.com/products.php
I like the idea behind the one sized cloth diaper. To me it seems simpler that you only have to buy one size and adjust it as baby grows. I am thinking that it is probably more expensive initially and that there may be more leaks since they are geared to a wider audience. Also in the washing instructions it states: "Wash warm, hot or cold with 1/4 cup additive free detergent. Rinse well with another full wash cycle on hot. Tumble dry medium." That's two wash cycles for every time! We do have front loading washing machines... Is this usual for cloth diapers to need two or even three wash cycles?
http://www.bummis.com/
Bummis seems good too. They offer Bamboozle diapers. I'm a big fan of bamboo, it's a renewable resource, is grown pesticide free, and has antimicrobial properties. They also offer a 'Cotton Diapering Kit' that comes with "15-30 pounds: 24 of our gorgeous unbleached pre-fold diapers with 4 Super Whisper Wraps. Plus our user guide and a roll of flushable liners." Thing is, I don't know if one of these kits would be sufficient. I'm guessing that 24 diapers should last awhile but how long will 4 wraps last? How often do you need to change a wrap? Maybe this kit would be good and then I could just have some other wraps too?
That leads me to my next point. I like the idea of knitted covers. I have been reading a lot about them and they seems to be raved about by mothers on the net. My own mom is a wonderful knitter and I know that she could whip up a bunch of covers in no time flat! Any feedback on using knitted covers?
The other thing I've found on the internet is patterns to make your own diapers.
http://www.diapersewing.com/
http://www.newconceptions.com/patternindex.htm
Depending on how cheap I can find fabric, this seems like the most economical way. We have a LOT of waiting time ahead of us and it's not like my big pregnant belly is going to get in the way of me and my sewing machine! LOL I've been trying to read a lot lately, there are SO many books an adoptive parent must read and my 'creative-me' is screaming to be put to use!
I have a good idea of what I'm going to do but I want some help with those of you in the "know". We have requested a child 0 - 12 months so it's logical to think we will be bringing home a baby that is around 15lbs.
Thank you!
3 comments:
Kushies are the best!
I've been thinking a lot about this too.... thanks for the tips!
Nicky
Hey Al!
I babysit a little girl and they use Kushies as well. The all-in-one Ultra diaper. They love them. They are alot easier than some of the others because you don't have to worry about the wrap and the diaper. You can still add the liner for more protection and absorbancy too. (Or for easier cleanup by using the biodegrable flushable ones). I am so happy for you two!
http://www.kushiesonline.com/Kushies-Ultra-Diapers-s/1097.html
Post a Comment