Friday, 6 May 2011

Cuteness!

 Oh, our little Maizie... Sometimes I can't stand the cuteness that this kid puts out into the world!  She has started insisting that we do her hair.  I guess after watching Sofia get her hair done she figures she's owed it.  But I'll be honest, curly brown girl hair is WAY easier to do than wispy white girl hair.
18 months has to be my favourite age, kids personalities seem to explode then.  Maizie is such a precious soul.  She is so cute and sweet but also viciously determined.  She looks out for her sisters but takes care of herself too.
This past weekend was a big deal for Maizie, she started using a potty and is finally tall enough to open the front and back doors.  We are letting Maizie lead in the potty area.  She has decided that she doesn't like wearing diapers and we were having trouble with her keep one on.  So I introduce her to the potty and told her if she doesn't want to wear a diaper then she needs to use the potty.  She has been able to go over an hour with no diaper and no accidents (her no diaper time ends when she has an accident.)  I have no ambition of toilet training her, but as long as she's interested I'll make it accessible to her and be her cheerleader.

Our Miss Sofia... I feel like she's getting left out lots lately.  Trouble is I'm not finding 4 years old to be that endearing an age.  I'm having a lot of trouble letting go and allowing her to grow and be independent.  Every day seems to be a struggle between her and I.  I am hoping that with this awareness I will be able to step back and breath before I interact with her.
Despite my previous paragraph almost 4 is a fun age.  Sofia is a songstress!  At least once a day (usually more) she breaks into song.  I'm not talking standard kids songs, I'm talking about theatrical musical worth songs.  I'm not even sure how to describe it... You really do need to experience it.

Our Miss Solveig... Where to start with this one?  6 weeks brought about big changes.  She had been giving sly smiles to Grant for a couple of weeks but now she's giving great big gummy grins!  I've even seen her eyes smile a couple of times and gotten a sweet coo or two.  Grant has been blessed with giggles, after all this time and 3 girls I'm used to Daddy getting these precious moments before me.  Solveig blessed me this week though by sleeping 5 hours in a stretch 3 nights in a row now.  If only she could warn me that she was about to take a long sleep I could go to bed too and benefit from it! :)  Solveig is such a wonderful, easy going baby.  She handles her sisters being in her face and a bit too rough with patience.  When she is awake she is calm and happy and when she is asleep and marching band couldn't wake her.

In short, I love my girls.  I'm in love with being a mother, I am extremely happy and fulfilled.  I am realizing my short comings as a mother and a person and I am lucky enough to be allowed to keep trying until I get it right.  Every day is a new adventure and even on the worst days there are laughs and lots of hugs.

2 comments:

mom said...

I love the songs Sofia composes while on the swing. Usually starts with "my mom and dad" and how you will look out for her and goes on and on and on from there. She has no idea how funny she is.
Miss M has the best little giggle. No wonder Sofia calls her "giggle girl"
And Lolo is going to walk in her sister's footsteps with having a beautiful smile.
What a beautiful family

Elizabeth said...

Happy Mother's Day to you!