Saturday, 13 September 2008

A day in the life

I realize my posts have been a bit sparse lately.  I have a lot to say but no ambition to sit down and try to say it.  Being a Mum is so rewarding but such a balancing act.  Sofia is so much more active than I was expecting a girl to be.  I must admit though she is well balanced, although she is mischievous, she also likes to sit and read.  Let me tell you about a tiny slice of our day yesterday... 

1210 - Mum settles down in the living room with the laptop.  Sofia settles down in the living room and plays with her stacking rings.
1212 - Sofia is feeding her stuffed cat with a toy bottle
1213 - Sofia is reading her stuffed cat a book
1215 - Sofia plays with  her stacking rings
1217 - Sofia plays with her turtle shape sorter
*this toy seems to hold her attention longer than most because of the annoying music it plays*
1221 - Sofia heads off to the kitchen
1222 - Sofia takes some of Mums pots and pans out and scatters them randomly around the first floor 
1226 - crash
1227 - Sofia enters the living room and says "uh-oh... no ... uh-oh" and toddles back to the kitchen.  Mum decides to just see how it plays out and stays in the living room.
1229 - After a minute or two of hearing paper and a gum package being played with, Mum hears coins hitting the floor and realizes that intervention is needed.
1230 - Sofia is found with Mums purse on the floor (When did she get tall enough to pull stuff off the table?) and has taken the coin purse out and is making a 'pattern' on the floor. (When did she learn how to open zippers?) 
1231 - Mum places her 3/4 full travel coffee mug on the table to clean up the purse mess, phone rings and it's Papa
1234 - Sofia and Mum head back to the living room, Sofia goes back to stacking rings and Mum goes back to the computer
1236 - Sofia heads back to the kitchen
1237 - crash
1238 - Sofia enters the living room and says "uh oh... no ... uh oh" and toddles back into the kitchen.  Mum decides to see how it plays out and stays in the living room.
1239 - splash splash splash Mum thinks "she better not be playing in the dogs water dish" and Mum puts the computer away and heads into the kitchen to deliver a beat down (not really, honest) 
1240 - Sofia is found belly down in a coffee puddle splashing around like a happy seal!Mum wishes the camera were surgically attached to her left hand because it's in the car and of no use to her ... How many of you guessed the second crash was Mums coffee cup? (I wish I had your foresight) 


ahhh, such is life with an active toddler!  I could go on and tell you about her playing 'boat' with a receipt she pulled from my purse in the dogs water dish.  Or the brilliantness of her when I asked her to go in the living room and bring her empty cup to me in the kitchen so I could fill it with milk.  (Which she did and then pranced around and saying "I did it!")  But I've shared enough for today and my girl needs her "nana, nana, nana, naaaa-naaaa!" so I must go find a banana ... 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just so you know that sounds like a very intriguing day, and I'm jealous. I'd love to spend even just one!

Anonymous said...

I would have liked to see the happy seal. What a hoot. My granddaughter is a cutie

Barbara said...

assuming she still naps, yes, that does sound like an exciting day. if not, am i allowed to bind Makeda's feet and hands til she's 5?

Dr. McB said...

Thanks for sending your blog address! Sofia is darling!

Dianne said...

Awwwe, she cracks me up! All that in 30 minutes, hey? I'm in for a rude (but good) awakening.

The "I did it" dance is awesome - she and Dora will have much in common.

The Warren Family said...

What a great post, I enjoyed that! What an adventure it must be becoming a mother (-:

Barb said...

Ha - that's great! I watch your blog with new found appreciation. Understanding how active a toddler is, is going to be a real challenge!

Barb