Thursday, 9 June 2011

Thoughtful Preschooler

A combination of words I wasn't sure was possible but our Sofia proved me wrong (yet again).  On Tuesday night Grant had double booked himself and was unable to take her to soccer practice.  Sofia was VERY upset. She 'ugly' cried to express her displeasure and wasn't shy about telling me that she wanted Daddy and no me to take her.  I'll admit that we gave her the option of staying home but we encouraged her to make the best of the situation.  After a warm up and one drill Sofia turned to me and said "I'm sorry that I was crying and sad because I wanted Daddy to come with me.  I'm having fun with you and you can come whenever you want".  I was so shocked and happy with her. What big girl thoughts and words from a just turned 4 year old!

A few weeks ago the swings disappeared from our local park.  Sofia has been asking me where they went to and since I didn't know I said that we should call city hall to ask them.  On Wednesday when Grant asked her what she wanted to do that day she replied "Call 'silly' hall and ask them where the swings in the park are."  Grant suggested rather than calling we go in person.  Sofia and I walked into city hall hand in hand and while we waited for our turn she she practiced what she was going to ask "Where did the swings in Herm William park go to".  When it was our turn she asked the lady in a confident voice.  The lady informed us the chains were defective and being fixed and asked Sofia her name.  Then the lady said she would tell the workers to hurry up because Sofia wants the swings back so she can play!  I was so proud of Sofia.

Tonight Sofia was reaching on the counter (not technically allowed) and knocked a pile of things.  I said crossly "What are you doing?"  She said trying to get this book and I told her to leave the kitchen.  She didn't respond and when I turned around to question her, she said "Mum is it ok if I clean up the mess I made before I go in the other room?"  ... I mean, seriously, who is this kid!?!!?!  PLEASE let some of this thoughtfulness last through her teenage years.

3 comments:

mom said...

This little one never ceases to amaze me. Way to go Sofia

Dianne said...

Awe, such a sweetheart!!

emily said...

Wow, wow, wow! She is so wise and so stinkin' cute!