Wednesday, 19 May 2010

Mummy Guilt

I'm feeling some Mummy Guilt today, here's my story:

Sofia has been saying "What" when spoken to for a few months now. A couple of month ago I taught her to say "I'm sorry I did not hear you" because I was getting sick of hearing "what" and couldn't figure out who to explain to her to use "pardon". Lately everything that is said to her needs to be repeated 2 or 3 times. It is so frustrating. Grant and I have had conversations about it, whether we should take her to a doctor of if she's just being 3. Today when I picked her up from playgroup the instructor asked me if I'd ever had her ears checked, she said she noticed Sofia concentrating really closely when she was talking and she said it seemed like Sofia was trying to read her lips. Well that sealed the deal, we left the rec centre and headed over to the public health unit. I asked if I could book an appointment for Sofia to have her hearing tested and as it worked out they had a spot open right then! (Amazing because it's normally a 2.5 month wait!) I gave Sofia a very brief pep talk about what was about to happen and then it was game on! She did AMAZING! She sat very still and was very quiet and played the games the ladies taught her. After 45 minutes of testing I learned that Sofia can't hear us. Her eardrums are flat which means her ear if filled with fluid. They said it could be an infection and would pass soon but giving the history I was giving them they said it does sound more permanent. So for now we wait, May 31 we have an appointment with the family dr. who will decide to pass us along to an ENT or not.

The mummy guilt comes from all the times I have yelled at her out of frustration from having to repeat myself 12 times... Today they explained to me to face Sofia when we are talking to her and to try to be only an arms width away. After only a few short hours it is working like a charm! I only hear 2 "whats" and both were when I was trying to talk to her from another room!

I am also thankful for a childs ability to forget and forgive. I will admit to giving her an extra treat today to try to relieve some of the guilt...

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh, Alicia, don't feel bad. You didn't know! You got help immediately when someone else voiced your worries, and that's what's important. I'm glad you now know what's going on and can deal with it appropriately.

Hugs to you and Miss Sofia.

Anonymous said...

Oh A, you didn't know. I would have thought typical 3 year old stuff too. The good news is, that you have an app't booked with a doc, and you can find some answers to help her!

natasha salaash said...

Don't beat yourself up. If it wasn't this, you would find another thing to feel guilty about. Thats what being a mother is all about! So glad you got to the bottom of it though!
Natsaha

shaunak said...

I agree that you shouldn't feel too badly about this. I'm glad that you caught it.

Molly's teacher also asked us to take her to have her hearing tested - but it turned out she really WAS ignoring us :)

Anonymous said...

our daughter was 3 when we met. within the first yr we had cause to check her hearing, there was a hole in her eardrum. something had happened in her young life and surgery was a possible solution. Now we are 2 surgeries later and still living with hearing loss on one side--but lots of times, she is still just ignoring us!! (she turns 12 today) sk