Saturday, 8 May 2010

Birthday Party Time!

Today we had Sofias birthday party at a playground near our house. It was "small" just her cousins and a few friends, somehow that adds up to over 30 people very quickly! It's a great park because there are 2 playgrounds, one for younger kids and one for older. Since the age range was 22 months - 8 years (not including the babies) I thought it was the best bet to keep everyone entertained. I was really happy with how it all turned out, the oldest boy is the only one that sustained an injury (he walked into the climber) and the babies were the only ones that cried!

Grant & I set out with the goal of having a "green" party, so many things at parties are disposable or tossed away because it's the easy thing to do. The only things that went in the garbage were soiled napkins and half eaten food, everything else was recycled! Instead of goodie bags we gave each kid a reusable plastic cup (made of recycled plastic) filled with cookies.

It was also a toonie party and so instead of a present people brought Sofia two toonies; half the money Sofia will use to buy herself one 'big' present and the other half Sofia is donating to Wild Arc to rescue and animal. Sofia was SO excited to open the cards and see the money, I was so excited to see the creativity in the cards (I requested the cards be handmade). After the party I asked Sofia what she is going to buy with her money and she wants to buy "chicken fingers". I'm thinking I can talk her into something more exciting, I'll tell her we'll use Daddys money to buy the chicken fingers!

Sofia picked out that headband at the store and told me she wanted to wear it for her birthday party.
Climbing the wall in her party dress and sandals.
Sofia has the biggest crush on Johnny (Grants friend) so I bet she was really excited that he was pushing her on the swing!
Susie getting some cuddles with Maizie.
I made a few dozen cookies and Grant and I made 'ice cream cone cupcakes'. They seemed to be a big hit and were super easy to eat at the park, no plates or cutlery required.
Everyone singing Happy Birthday to Sofia.
(I missed it, I was taking pictures with one hand and video taping with the other)
Mason says "Mmm good"

I had a great time, it was nice with so many people around to watch my kids. I got talk to friends and drink a coffee with both hands free.

4 comments:

Dianne said...

Happy birthday, Sofia! You are such a beautiful, special little girl!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Looks like a great party :) I hope you enjoy those chicken fingers, LOL!

emily said...

Sounds like a lot of fun! Happy Birthday Sofia! I can't believe you are THREE!

Jennifer said...

You are so creative! The ice cream cone cupcakes are awesome. I love the toonie idea and the handmade cards. Chicken fingers? Hilarious! Happy birthday, Sofia!

(Sorry, I'm just catching up on some blog reading now. It's been a busy couple of weeks.)