Last Wednesday (July 18) Grant took the day off work and we spent it running "errands". Our first stop was our doctors office to have our medical forms filled out. She sent us off to have blood work done (this process is very thorough) The receptionist in the lab told Grant that she knows of quite a few Ethiopian people whom live in the area near there. This made us feel very happy!
We decided to treat ourselves to some authentic Ethiopian food, it seems appropriate for the day that we were having. But sadly, for us, the restaurant owners were on summer vacation. We have plans to go back when they open up again! Instead we went to a new Thai place and had our favourite meal of panang gai and phad thai.
Our next stop was the Ministy of Child and Family Development. They do checks on us to see if we were abused as children and that we haven't been accused of abusing children (at least that's my take on it!) We had to give them copies of our photo id and birth certificates. Thank goodness that this was an easy stop because the lady told us that the check expires after one month! I guess that we'll get to know here very well by the end!!
Our last stop for the day was our local RCMP detachment. They are running a criminal record check on us and we got finger printed. For me the finger printing was the best part of the day!

All the while we have been busy with our social worker, Iris. This past Sunday (July 22) exactly 3 months from our first meeting with her, we had our final visit. It was the in-our-home visit. We've spent most of the past month in major spring cleaning mode, we've sent a lot of clothes and items no longer used by us to a local charity. It's amazing how much bigger your house seems when all that's in it are the things you use!
As for what's next; On Monday (July 30) Grant and I will go to our doctors' to pick up our medical forms. And on Sunday August 5 we will meet with Iris to review our homestudy before we submit it to the agency. This will be the last time that we meet with Iris until after our child is placed with us. We will miss our meetings with her but look forward to seeing her again! Our homestuday has been a great experience for us. Through it Grant and I have grown closer. We have learned a lot about ourselves and each other. I am certain, now more than ever, that we are going to be good parents!
4 comments:
of course you will be good parents. There is not doubt
Wow, reading this almost made me cry! I'm so happy for you both and can't wait until you have you baby! Love you both, Heather
Hi there,
I was just going through some old e-mails from the canrussianadopt group and thought I would check your blog.....in April you were planning to go to Russia and now I see you have chosen Ethiopa....that is very exciting. What influenced your decision to go there?
Are you still with CHOICES?
We also used CHOICES and we adopted a 2 yr old girl from Russian this past April.
We are now very busy!
Jennifer
Jennifer I would like to answer your post, could you please send me an email. alicia.dybdal@gmail.com
Post a Comment